Home » The Park » The Park's Treasures » Cultural Goods
One of the most interesting military-defensive structures
Rocca Calascio, situated at 1,464m, lies in a landscape context of great value and represents one of the most interesting military-defensive structures for its building consistency and accuracy. It is characterized by a square plan with circular donjons at the corners and a central square keep. Some researchers consider the latter more ancient than the rest of the complex, since it has all the characteristic features of a medieval watchtower. The tower would have been transformed into the current Rocca during the 15th century.
In the basement of the central square keep we find the entrance that, like for other isolated watchtowers, is raised with respect to the inner courtyard. The cylindrical towers have a marked scarp and are characterized by arch-shaped loopholes with underlying circular arquebus loopholes.
The Rocca, situated in the highest position and dominating Tirino valley and Piana di Navelli, has always played an important surveillance function. This strategic role was strengthened around the mid-15th century when the fortification, after being linked for a long time to the Barony of Carapelle, passes under the rule of Piccolomini, giving the defensive structure its current shape.
Not far from the Rocca, separated by a ditch, you will see several houses forming the ancient settlement of Rocca Calascio. The octagonal church of Madonna della Piet├á, built in 1451, is also well preserved.
In the village of Calascio there are several sacred buildings: the parish church, the monastery and church of S. Maria della Grazie, preserving a painting by Cesare Giulio Bedeschini, St Charles church, St Anthony the Great church, and St Leonard church. The latter, used as hospice during the plagues, preserves an interesting cycle of frescoes.